The Ohio Department of Education will issue a one year temporary substitute teaching license for people who do not have a bachelor's degree as long as they meet the local school district requirements.  The 9 school districts that Ross-Pike ESD work with (Adena, Eastern, Huntington, Scioto Valley, Southeastern, Unioto, Waverly, Western, and Zane Trace) have determined that a candidate for this license must meet one of the three requirements:

1. Have an associate's degree or

2. Be participating in a teacher education program or

3. Have a superintendent/principal recommendation

Here are the steps you must follow:

Contact Tom Kitchen ( for the application

Once you have completed the ESD application, you'll finish the process through

At that website, go to "Log in" at the top of the screen.

Click on the blue button, "OH|ID Portal"

If you have an account already then you can log in with your credentials.  If not, you'll need to click "Create Account" and go through the steps they provide you.

Once you created your OH|ID Account, you will need to complete the Ohio Department of Education Profile.  Next you will need to log in and go to "Sites & Applications".

You'll be looking for "Educator Licensure and Records (CORE)".  You'll have to click the blue arrow to scroll to it.

Choose "go to site" on "Educator Licensure and Records (CORE)".

Under "My Credentials", choose "Apply for NEW Credential"

Choose "Substitute".

Choose "Temporary Substitute License - 1 Year (Non-Bachelors)"

Click "Apply"

Select "Start Application Process"

Complete the application.  When it asks for an IRN number for the district signing the license, you MUST choose "138222", Ross-Pike ESD.

Pay for the license.